Huwebes, Oktubre 4, 2012

"Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married"



Last September 13, I was asked to join the Book Fair in MOA. Then while browsing the books in OMFLit Section (publishing house) I've found this very interesting title "Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married" and it was written by Gary Chapman, to my delight. :) 

I remember that one of my professors, Prof. Myrna Sanchez (family counselor in CEFAM) uses the teachings of this respected author in her counseling. He was actually the one who coined the five love languages.

If you are single, in a relationship, currently engaged or married, i highly recommend that you read this book. I'm still not done reading it but I have already learned a lot and applied most of the pieces of advice that I got from Gary Chapman. 

Take note, I received positive feedback from my fiancé ever since i started reading this. ^_^

People from all walks of life will surely be able to relate in this book. Gary talks like you are just having a conversation over a cup of coffee. 

Following are the topics that you can find inside the book:

I wish I had known...

  • That being in love is not an ADEQUATE FOUNDATION for building a SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE
I've learned that our thoughts are obsessive in nature. When we are in love, we see our partner as the most wonderful and exciting person that we have ever known. We want to be with them every single day of our lives. But this obsession period that we commonly experience has an average life span of two years. Imagine that. For some, it lasts longer but it will surely fade. Which is why, we have to do something to make our love and relationship grow and mature in order for it to last forever.
  • That ROMANTIC LOVE has two STAGES
1st Stage: Requires a little effort. We do all the possible things that we see in order to see and be with the person we love. We please them as much as we could for we know that with this, we are able to make them feel how much we love them.

2nd Stage: Requires work in order to keep the emotional love alive. This includes identifying the love language of your partner.

According to Gary Chapman, there are five love languages that we have to consider in keeping and maintaining any kind of relationships. They are:

1. Words of Affirmation
2. Quality Time
3. Receiving Gifts
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch

  • That the saying "LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER" and "LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON" is not a myth
  • How to solve DISAGREEMENTS without ARGUING
  • That APOLOGIZING is a sign of STRENGTH
There are also five apology languages:

1. Expressing Regret
2. Accepting Responsibility
3. Making Restitution
4. Genuinely Repenting
5. Requesting Forgiveness
  • That FORGIVENESS is not a FEELING
  • That TOILETS are not SELF-CLEANING
  • That mutual sexual FULFILLMENT is not AUTOMATIC
  • That I was MARRYING into a FAMILY
  • That SPIRITUALITY is not to be equated with "GOING TO CHURCH"
  • That PERSONALITY profoundly influences BEHAVIOR
  • Developing a HEALTHY DATING Relationship
I would not elaborate more because I am a bit tinatamad today. I will edit this blog, as soon as i find time. hehehe!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento