Linggo, Agosto 4, 2013

The Anxiety I Got from the Congenital Anomaly Scan

My OB-Gyn suggested that I should undergo Congenital Anomaly Scan. The name of the procedure itself made me feel very anxious the moment she told us that.

To fully understand, I shall explain briefly what really is it.

CAS is a procedure which takes a closer look at the baby inside the pregnant's womb. The sonographer (the one who performs it) will check whether the baby is developing normally. She will look at where the placenta is lying inside the pregnant's uterus. She will also count the fingers and measure the size of the baby's bones. It is usually done between 18 to 20 weeks (and above) of pregnancy.

I was supposed to have it on August 10, but I insisted to have it on August 3 because I was feeling soooo anxious about it for a month already. Plus the fact that I also wanted to know this early if it will be "little noel or little tina" :)

So the moment of truth came. We went to the hospital early but we still got the 9th slot. It was a bit expensive but that's okay, it's for our baby (that's our motivation! :p)

I was praying while the sonographer was doing the procedure. I was also looking at the monitor even though I don't understand what she was looking at. hehehe! When she's done measuring all my baby's body parts, I immediately ask for the gender. hahaha! and she said... It's a Girl! I am so happy she would be a Scholastican ^_^

Then she told me there is something she sees in the heart. But my OB-Gyn will be the one to explain what is it. OMG! That statement took my smile away. I felt so anxious again. Then the sonographer got an anxious look on her face. I did not understand why. Then she told me, my baby was hiding her face. She was covering it with her hands. So she told me to go out, walk and drink then come back after she's done with two other patients.

So I approached my hubby who was waiting outside. I told him what the sonographer told me and we calmed ourselves up. Whatever happens, we both know we did our best, so there is no one to blame. My hubby also called my sister who is a nurse (she is also performing 2D echo to adult patients) to ask for advice.

Then when we went back to the room, the sonographer allowed my husband to accompany me during the remaining procedure. She lets us see the face of the baby and it was sooo cute!

Maybe because she noticed we were really worried, she briefly explained what she saw in my baby's heart. She said there was an echogenic structure seen in the left ventricle of my little princess' heart. Then she said there are studies saying that those echogenic structure seen during scans are insignificant. Maybe the little white spot there was calcium deposit or just muscles that is yet to develop. (Thank God!)

But at the end, she suggested to do fetal 2D Echo to make sure everything is really okay.

At 2pm, we went to our OB-Gyn and raised the issue seen in the scan. My doctor said she had patients who happen to have the same experience as ours, but the babies turned very healthy. So meaning, nothing significant. Thank God. There is really nothing to worry about.

The following day, we showed the result to my sister and she said everything is going to be fine... and we are claiming, everything and everyone is in good condition. There is no impossible with God! :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento